Sunday, December 10, 2006

it feels good to be home



I love traveling, I really do, but there's nothing like sleeping in your own bed after some time away, don't you think ? Especially since we were dead tired after our flight back was delayed for over 3 hours (actually, our flight to Milan was also delayed for a few hours, so I guess that's the price we sometimes pay for flying low cost ?)

Apart from that, the vacation was lovely. The weather was not too bad (even a bit disappointed because it didn't snow) and I came back with the certainty that I'll have to return again for another visit. Slovenia and Croatia were as beautiful as I had been told, and if I ever manage to sort out the hundreds of photos we took, I'll share a few here soon. Here's a small list of my favorite places and things from the trip:

* visiting the Plitvicka Jezera National Park (Croatia). This has to be one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to.
* listening to the sea organ in Zadar (X, I didn't get to see the sunset from here, it was raining, but I loved it anyway)
* Dubrovnik ... my favorite city in Croatia. The perfect place for a short vacation, I think. I did watch the sunset here from the city walls, and it was amazing.
* staying at the Alpenrose guesthouse in Mittenwald (Germany), a picture perfect postcard village north of Innsbruck. It was our second time here, and it's as lovely as I remembered it.
* shopping in Zagreb (Croatia) and Trento (northern Italy)
* wandering around the streets of Ljubljana (Slovenia)
* browsing the Christmas markets in Innsbruck (Austria)

I baked the scones above for our breakfast this morning, but guess who I caught trying to grab one of them ?



Oh well, I can't blame her, they were actually quite good :)




 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

A scone-eating cat! Mine would be jealous if they saw this! Sounds like you had a wonderful time--but it's always nice to be home!

Sandra Dias said...

What a lucky cat! The scones look sooo delicious ;-)
And welcome back!

fantasma said...

Essas férias têm muito bom aspecto, tens mesmo de mostrar as fotos!
E que gato com sorte, eu cá também já comia um (mas como tens paciência de fazer scones logo de manhã???)

Anonymous said...

i am glad that you liked your visit to croatia.there are many more things to see (next time) like "Hum" smalles town in the world, Kornati...the best time to come is 9.month.you can still go tu beach,there is no that much turists and with boats you can go to one day trips to islands.

ps i have lef you a message on your last post before the trip (check the web).

kiss, milica

Anonymous said...

ola ola!
hmmmm, quero um scone com mel sff!! e um chá de menta sem açucar também! ;) benvinda de volta! bjnh, manela

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. I can't believe you were in Ljubljana. I grew up there and moved to States just 5 years ago. If I would know sooner I could give you good tips on the best shops, places to eat,... Happy Holidays!

Sue said...

So glad that you had a lovely time away, and so happy you have returned. I cannot believe that your cat eats scones. We used to have a cat that ate rockmelon/canteloupe and absolutely loved it. He could never get enough and used to eat it as fast as he could.

Anonymous said...

Plitvice is beautiful isn't it? My mother was from Yugoslavia and I used to visit my grandmother every summer. Plitvice was one of my favorite places along with Dubrovnik, Mostar, and the hills of Slovenia. I haven't been back for many years- my grandmother passed away. But I would like to see it again.

Alex (The Sleepless Reader) said...

The organ of Zadar is among my top-5 favourite places. Sorry you've missed the sun set, it's amazing.

I bet that with the winter waves the organ is even more impressive!