Monday, January 14, 2008

counterpane pullover



done, it's finally done .. my first sweater ! This was fast, it only took me two months, and the result is actually decent. Remember I brought this yarn from Hong Kong ? Well, I should've been more cautious and purchased an extra skein, because I used up everything and had to make a shorter collar and body length. Apart from that, and the finishing part (I enjoy seaming, but hate, hate weaving in ends !) it was quite an easy knit. The front and back lace panels are quite straightforward, and the rest is just plain garter stitch.

And like always, I did make a few modifications to suit me better:

* because the yarn is merino and somewhat bulky, and garter stitch tends to stretch a lot, this pattern is best knit with negative ease. Besides, the model photo seemed a bit too loose for me anyway, so I knitted the whole thing in 6mm (addi turbo circular) needles instead of 6.5 (still, the yarn was barely enough)

* the sleeves seemed really huge to me, so I BO 30 sts instead of the 23 on the body sides, and changed the sleeves to be somewhat more flattering (with slight increases at the end)

Here's the back detail ...



And front ...




Pattern: Counterpane pullover, by Pam Allen (from Interweave Knits Fall 07)
Size: smallest
Yarn: Madil Merino Mix 100, color 652 (6 skeins)
Needles: 6mm
Ravelry link here


12 comments:

Unknown said...

so lovely, i wishe i knew knit.
:))

Murta said...

Wonderful work! Lindo trabalho!

Anonymous said...

Tania, está lindissimo! Beautiful, beautiful! Eu também não gosto mesmo nada de "weave in the ends"! Põe-me os cabelos em pé!!! Mas a tua camisola está perfeita!

Anonymous said...

i love it! i wish i was that talented :)

JuanitaTortilla said...

Wow, that is lovely. I'm inspired to make one!

Anonymous said...

Wow congrats on your first sweater!!! It looks wonderful!! Love the color and the center details. Great choice

Anonymous said...

I liked that sweater when I saw it in the magazine, but I like yours even more. I think I'll be looking for yarn for that sweater soon!

Anonymous said...

Great sweater! I've been contemplating this pattern since I got this issue of IK. Yours looks fabulous!

nicole said...

Delurking to tell you how much I love your sweater. I can't believe it's your first one! Looks great.

Sue said...

Beautiful sweater and it really suits you. I wouldnt have guessed that you shortened it either.

C+SK said...

Esta' fantastica, Tania!! Um espanto de camisola! :-)

ANALUKAMINSKI PINTURAS said...

Lindíssimo, wonderfull, girl!!!

Aliás, tudo muito fofo, belo e colorido, por aqui. Gostei especialmente dos gatos entre os novelos de lã.

Abraços alados, beijos pintados.